Friday, September 25, 2009

"BEEP-BEEP"


Now, I have been told in the past that I do swim a tad on the fast side... But how did I manage to lose our President... not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES on the same dive... Now you will probably say : "That's unpossible.." Others will say : "Unpossible is not a word..." .... and the rest will remain confused... =)

Let me tell you all how it happened.. Leo, Ken and I (at my suggestion) decided to undertake the task of finally repairing the line out to the Stacked hulls this afternoon. We met at the site this afternoon around 1500hrs, and noted that the water seemed quite clear from shore. We geared up, and took to the water. I swam out to the intersecting point between the parallel line from shore and the line out to the wrecks. I inflated my dive noodle, attached my reel, and installed in on the stake at this point, giving me a marker to take my compass bearing to repair the line all the way to shore. I met up with Ken and Leo at the shore, and we took a 130 degree bearing from there to meet up with the line in the deeper section of the water. I followed the bearing out to the shelf to find myself alone with the gobies.. 1 minute went by, I surfaced, and saw Ken in the water, waiting for Leo who went back to his truck for more weights.. Using the geothermal equation to calculate his weights used with a full wetsuit, divided by E=MC2.. Leo musta forgot to carry the 2, or something... While waiting, I ran the line through the missing section, aiming for my floating dive noodle.. Worked great.. Attached the line again, now serviceable...

Once all reunited at the surface like a bad sequel of "Beverly Hills 90210", I told Ken and Leo to make it out to the wreck. I would collect my noodle and reel, and catch up with them...

Well, I just hit the shelf, diving down to 30 feet.. when Ken pulls on one of my fins... He is behind me ??? Where's Waldo, uh, I mean Leo ??? Nowhere to be seen in the murky waters.. Ken surfaces, finds him, and brings him back down. I had to stay at the bottom to prevent from losing sight of the line.. Reunited, we trekked on.. We found another small section of line missing, so I stopped to fix it.. waiving them both to carry on to the wrecks.. I caught up with them on the wreck, just in time to turn around because of their dwindling air supply.. I motioned them to go ahead while I cleaned the line all the way to shore. I managed to lose them AGAIN... They just disappeared in the murky water... I did my 3 minute safety stop, and Ken popped up there. Apparently I swam right under him, about 8 inches below him, and never even noticed... Our beloved El-Presidente.. nowhere in sight..

Once the safety stop completed, Ken surfaced, used his snorkel, and followed me to shore. We finally met up with Leo at the entry point... At last, a happy ending... The line out to the Hulls is finally fixed for all to enjoy. Just make sure that you don't take the wrong direction in the shallows where the line seems to take a 90 degree bend to nowhere...

Morale of the story : Doubles don't slow me down one bit, so you might as well do what Gaetan has been wanting to do all summer... Get yourself a bungee cord, clip yourself to my tanks and enjoy the ride.. At least this way, I will know where to find you... "Beep-Beep" (mimicked in a Road-Runner voice).

No comments: