Sunday, June 6, 2010

No bubbles... newbie troubles


     Well I finally took Dave Fraser up on his offer to try one of his Russian Navy rebreathers.  Since they run on O2, and have a MOD of 30', Portsmouth Harbor seemed like a good place to go.  Simplistic, and all mechanical in design it looked darn near diver proof.  On the plus side, you can get real close to marine life, without scaring them off, a little less weight on your back and one small tank of O2 can last up to four hours.  On the down side, any little change in depth can effect you buoyancy dramatically.  Although I didn't crash into the bottom, nor explode to the surface, I felt like I was up and down like a toilet seat.  Kind of reminded me of the first time I put a BC on and tried to get neutrally buoyant.

     It was definitely an experience I'll remember, but not something I'd recommend to anyone  new to diving, to try.  It isn't even something I'm rushin' out to buy.  (Pardon the pun).


No comments: