Sunday, September 16, 2007

Completetion of Another Open Water Course



Today I saw the completion of another open water course. The final two dives were at POH and the marine museum. We got up early to get a head start on the diving. It was nice to see calm water with no wind. To my surprise the air temperature when I looked out of the window this morning at 7am was only 2C, luckily the water was a lot warmer. I briefly hummed and hawed on whether I should switch to the dry suit but decided the 3mm would be fine. The air temperature was substantially warmer for our first dive. The two new divers did a great job with their air consumption and easily made it to the stop sign and navigated their way back. For this dive, we had 66F (19C) for the water temperature. The visibility was best on this dive closer to shore which is a change from the norm and less further out. Our second dive of the morning took us to the marine museum where we did a nice giant stride into the water and took a slow swim to the barge and to the boat launch. I was surprised and very happy to see that some divers have done some work on the site and put in a line from the boat ramp to the barge; I know, since this is a favorite of the club divers we all say thank you. The water temperature on this dive did not change with the coolest getting down to 66F (19C). If I had to dive a third time, I think it would have been dry suit time but the old 3mm stood up nicely for the two dives in the water today. The highlight for me was seeing the growth on the barge that was not there the last time I dove on it. As asked by the students what exactly the growth was I had to say I did not know; and that as divers there will be lots of questions to research involved with their new found obsession.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Great pictures!! I don't think we had this good of visibility. Congrats to the students who finished the course and I hope we get a chance to meet and dive together in the future.

ChrisH said...

Does any one reconginze the growth that was found on the second picture????? It was on the barge in 35 ft of water.