Sunday, July 5, 2009

SundayDives are GO!

Just like the old serial tv shows we have lift off on the Sunday dive program. Meeting at 9 am for gear and leaving for underwater adventure at 930. We boldly go where many have gone before. Ok so thats not my finest intro to writing ...

A small handful of folks braved the bright sunny day at 2 different sites Morton's Wharf and POH ( I don't have info on that dive ATM). Gaetan and myself experienced a leisurely hour-long dive at the Morton's Wharf. Sitting at 27 feet max depth at the end of the underwater pier this is easily one of Kingston's easier dives. I bet this would be a wicked night dive. The entry is a bit tricky however the water was calm at least when we went in. It was not so nice when we got out as the winds really picked up. Vis was clear for 30 or so feet, and we were treated to lots of bass that clearly had just spawned, as well as one massive Carp, and a skittish catfish. Water temp was a balmy 66F and I did the dive comfortably in a single layer 7mm wet suit. A simple dive with a few swim throughs and few plates and cups scattered around as well as a really old TV.

Big thanks to Chris Haslip for giving me a small map of the site however after 30 min of searching I gave up on looking for the St Lawrence that sits in 6 feet of water. Also thanks to Mike for pre-filling the air banks the day before for potential divers!

In short: I intend to dive every sunday in the morning (weather and other factors aside) and anyone is welcome. I havent decided how I want to post the intended sites in advance. Further: weather does affect that as well, so for now I will play it by ear and figure out the plan at the club. I am allways open to shore diving ideas and if there is something that can be done by rec divers from shore then we can entertain that. Its a long hot summer and quality time underwater is a sure fire cure for the heat.
Oblig pics:
Nice bass Geatan!

A swim through, the super carp, and as allways blowing bubbles:



Keep blowing bubbles

Matt

BTW I must say our new sign is nice and bright!

Stay tuned

2 comments:

Kingstondivepro said...

Nice post - and it looks to have been a fun dive. Great to see the Sunday Club back in business. Anytime you want to do this one at night, give me a call Matt. I can also show you the St Lawrence...

Saturnain said...

Great shot of bubbles.
I should try that next dive.
It was a nice dive even with little waves at the end.

See you at the next dive.