Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Oriskany Dive

Well what a difference a day can make.

We went out to Dive Pros at 7203 Hwy 98 west Pensacola yesterday and CJ and Merrick were great. She helped us get our gear together and made some great suggestions on gear changes. When we arrived we must have looked like complete idiots. I had left everything in the truck regarding the dive so I had to go from memory. She was very patient with the two wayward travellers who were somewhat frazzled. She gave us directions on where to meet the boat and what to expect.

Dave the owner and operator of Blue Water Adventures, charters for Dive Pros. He was great. The boat was very comfortable for the 3 club members Kim, Scott, Steve (who has not partaken of any of the aforementioned adventures so far) and their new friend from Germany, Hans.

Dave gave us a dive brief of the Oriskany and what we should expect of the dive. He was very thorough and professional. I definitely recommend both Dive Pros and Blue Water Adventure for your diving needs in Pensacola. Both made our dive today very comfortable and we felt in good hands.

Now that being said the vis today was not very good after the storm that went through on Sunday. We had about 30 feet of vis. It felt like we were diving at home but the fish made the dive worth while. There were some pretty big Barracuda on the wreck. We didn't have a chance to see much of the boat as we were diving with air but this is a dive you must do if you ever get a chance. I plan on coming back and doing this dive again. Next time I would like to stay for about a week so we can do this dive a couple of times.

Steve has invited us on down to Panama City to do a couple of dives there. I think one of the dives is the Black Bart. I am not sure what the other one is. I am just glad to be diving.

And yes I got my T-Shirt that say I dove the Oriskany. Na na, na na, boo boo.

Well that's all I have for now I hope to have some pictures next time.

1 comment:

Kingstondivepro said...

Kim - it's great to hear that you and Scott (and Steve) are having a great dive vacation. The Big O is definitely on my list of 'must do' dives. You've just joined a growing list of friends and dive buddies who recommend it.

Sounds like you've had some weather adventures. You don't really want to know that it's gorgeous here today - but cold (-6C). Drive and dive safe !