Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Hello! If it's Wednesday, it must be the Wolfe Islander...


Well - long story short - weather warnings and the like again sent us to the Wolfe Islander II. Whole trip out and back it rained. Not the light, drizzly rain, but real, ground soaking, my yard loves it rain. Nevertheless, twelve of us got in another dive on the old lady. Viz was reasonable at about 40-50', but the thermocline was very noticeable and dropped the temperature at 60' and below to a chilly 50F (10C).

I guess everyone's spirits were lifted by the unusual sight of me in a wetsuit - first time in home waters in over a year. Did I mention that I love my drysuit? I kept raising my left arm in an effort to vent air on the ascent, with no result at all. Drat that muscle memory...

But a dive's a dive... Where's the Summer gone? My logbook shows the Wolfe enjoying temperatures 10F warmer than this exactly a year ago - Global Warming - Pah! (not a serious comment, I'm with Al Gore on that one...)

Oh! I ought to mention that there was some excitement about a couple of our divers spotting a large, probably Freshwater Drum (Sheepshead) around the bridge of the wreck...

3 comments:

Jim Dunfield said...

Enjoyed the animated report Mike. Keep it up please.

Jeffy said...

Hopefully there will be more sightings -- of the drum, of Mike in his wetsuit... :)

Tom Rutledge said...

We didnt hear you on the radio we were on the Comet.