Sunday, June 10, 2007

Triple Dipping...

The weather must be getting better and the Lake warmer. I got in three dives today. Two with Steve and Marcus, who was finishing off his NAS work in the water at Portsmouth and another in Navy Bay exploring the pier supports at the Lake end of the Bay.

Portsmouth Harbour, first thing, was serene. A light dusting of yellow pollen lay on the inshore surface and the water was almost glassy calm. For the first time ever, I was able to see the nearest wreck segment clearly from the breakwater. I've placed a white line on the outer edge of the concrete sill to mark the wreck's location.

I got into the water in advance of the survey work Marc had to complete to place a baseline on the relevant wreck and lodge some datum points. This was interesting work and poses both buoyancy and accuracy challenges. Just the thing for an early Sunday dive. Once the set-up was complete, there was a chance to visit the anchors and check out some bearings to points of interest. The second dive at Portsmouth was simply to observe the survey activity and recover the artifacts used to set up the location. But, it offered a rare view of a large Bass preparing a spawning circle.

This afternoon's dive was almost as enjoyable. Looking for a location closer to home, and the Club, I dropped into Navy Bay. The initial ambition had been to visit the 'new' wreck near the car parks, but sail training put an end to this. So, the opportunity was taken to check out the old pier structures further South and West, towards Ft Frederick. I answered one question I had posed myself; how many are there? The answer seems to be six, two of which go all the way to shore. All of them were alive with fish, mainly Bass, but also some Bluegills and other small fry.

The best sighting of the day came on the trip back to the jetty. A huge Muskie was spotted busily devouring something on the bottom, totally unconcerned by my approach. In fact, as he finished his meal, he turned towards me and approached to within a few feet, giving me a really good view of a rather broad and intimidating brow.

Water temperatures all day were about 58F (14C) with visibility averaging about 35 feet.

1 comment:

Jim Dunfield said...

You never can tell when you will need your camera. I'm jealous as I've never seen a muskie yet.